1 . M.S (by research) in Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering
2. Ph.D programmes in high end areas of Biotechnology
For admission to the above courses students can check the website of Anna University Chennai
Short term research training is offered in Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering for faculty members of colleges/universities/other research institutions in areas: DNA, RNA isolation, Purification, Cloning, sequence analysis, gene expression studies, western blotting, qPCR, ELISA, animal cell culture .
We undertake research work of reserchers from outside centers on service charge basis and the data will be analyzed.
1. Regulation of the expression of Insulin receptor (INSR) and glucose transporter (glut4) genes in response to stevioside as an antidiabetic agent in normal and insulin sensitive L6E9 myoblast and T3-L1 preadipocytes- Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India, 2011-2013.
2. Development of Low Fat Nutritionally Rich Delicious Fresh Tender Coconut Cream – Technology Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India – 2012-2014
3. Evaluation of Coconut Embryonic Tissue - Haustorium for the Production of Value Added Products with respect to its Nutritional, Therapeutic and other Biological Properties - Technology Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India – 2013-2015
4. Designing a hygienic harvesting process and an appropriate processing technology for sustaining the quality of coconut neera as a nutritive drink. Technology Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India – 2013-2015
15. Fractionation, Purification and Structural Elucidation of Active Compound of Hemigraphis colorata and the Molecular mechanism of its Wound Healing effect in cell lines keratinocytes, 3T3 fibroblasts and in vivo studies animal models". Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India, 2014-2017.
6 . Normalization of the modified harvesting protocol of Coconut neera by field trials and development of a pilot plant for Neera processing, bottling and storage, Technologyu Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India 2014-2015.
1. Production of recombinant Human lactoferrin for exploiting its therapeutic benefits.
2. Rapid Diagnosis of chikungunya virus and production of monoclonal antibodies against E1 Coat protein.
3. Earlier Diagnosis of serotypes of dengue virus using recombinant NS1.
4. Expression of Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 gene during wound healing in cell line wound models
5. Nutritional evaluation of recombinant Bovine lactoferrin (BLf) protein as a health supplement.
6. Functional expression of FAD2 (omega-6 fatty acid desaturase) gene of soyabean in peanut for improving the PUFA content
7. Enrichment of Steviosides- the natural sweetener in Stevia rebaudiana by over expressing UGT gene.
8. Enrichment of mature coconut water as a nutritive drink.
9. Production of Biofuel from Coconut oil and functional feasibility studies in diesel vehicles.
i. Sequence, Transgenic Products and Process Thereof- Application No. 982/CHE/2011, dated March 29, 2011
ii. Nucleotide and Amino acid Sequence, Methods and Kit Thereof Application No. 980/CHE/2011, dated March 28, 2011
iii. A composition and a process thereof – Patent No. 2327/CHE/2007
iv. A composition for treating Kerala wilt disease in coconut palms –Application No. 1152/CHE/2004, dated 5-11-2004International Patent (Australia):
i. Sequence, Transgenic Products and Process Thereof- Application No. PCT/IB2012/051491, dated March 28th 2012
ii. Nucleotide and Amino acid Sequence, Methods and Kit Thereof – Application No. PCT/IB2012/051458, dated March 27th 2012.Patents Granted:
i. A Herbal composition comprising plant parts of Stevia sps and Coffee beans- Patent No. 246859 (Application No. 2310/CHE/2007 – Patent Granted
ii. A Process for the production of steviol from Stevia sps – Patent No. 245903 (Application No.1436/CHE/2007)- Patent Granted
US patent - PROCESS FOR OBTAINING ESTER. International PCT Application No. PCT/IB2014/063512
1 . Mohankumar C, Salini Bhasker, Dr Harish Madhav, Rajesh Mamkulathil Devasia, Anisha Shashidharan, Balachandran Chandrasekaran Pillai and Pradeep Thevannoor. Production of Coconut methyl ester (CME) and glycerol from Coconut (Cocos nucifera) oil and the functional feasibility of CME as Biofuel in diesel engine. Fuel 140 (2015) 4–9.
2 . Susan George, Salini Bhasker, Dr Harish Madhav, Archana Nair, C Mohankumar (2014). Functional characterization of recombinant bromelain of Ananas comosus expressed in a prokaryotic system. Molecular Biotechnology 56, 166-174.
3. A.P. Anugeethu, Salini Bhasker and Chinnamma Mohankumar. Novel Therapeutic Property of Recombinant Human GAPDH Peptide (2013). Novel Therapeutic property of Recombinant Human GAPDH peptide. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia, Vol. 10, 751-757.
4. Susan George, Salini Bhasker, Rajesh MamkulathilDevasia, Harish Madhav Warrier and Mohankumar Chinnamma. Quantitative PCR (qPCR) data analysis of SOD and its activity and expression in Elettariacardamomumunder biotic stress Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia, August 2014. Vol. 11(2).
5. Krishna K.Yathi, Salini Bhasker, C. Mohankumar (2013) Determination of B cell epitopes and Evaluation of Antigen Capture ELISA for the earlier diagnosis of CHIK Virus using anti-rCHIK E1 rabbit Antibodies. Journal of Immunological methods 393, 45-52
6. Harish Madhav, Salini Bhasker, C Mohankumar (2013) Functional and Structural Variation of Uridine Diphosphate Glycosyltransferase(UGT) gene of Stevia rebaudiana –UGTSr involved in the synthesis of rebaudioside A. Plant Physiology & Biochemistry 63, 245-253.
7. Anju Nandakumar, Salini Bhasker, C Mohankumar (2013) Functional Variation of Ascorbate Peroxidase in Black Pepper (Piper nigrum) Varieties during Infection of Phytophthora capsici. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia 10(1), 253-260.
8. Anisha Shashidharan, Salini Bhasker, C Mohankumar (2012). Recombinant Lactoferrin (Lf) of Vechur Cow, the Critical Breed of Bosindicus and the Lf Gene Variants. GENE, 495 (1): 23–28.
9. Krishna Kammara Yathi, Julia Mary Joseph, Salini Bhasker, Ramesh Kumar, Mohankumar C (2011). Recombinant CHIK virus E1 coat protein of 11 KDa with antigenic domains for the detection of Chikungunya. Journal of Immunological Methods, 372 (2011) 171–176
10. Anisha Shashidharan, Ruchi Singh, Salini Bhasker, C Mohankumar (2011) Physicochemical Characterization and functional site analysis of lactoferrin gene of Vechur cow, the critical breed of BosIndicus by bioinformatics approaches. Bioinformation 6(7): 275-278.
11. RB Smitha, Thomas Bennans, C Mohankumar, Sailas Benjamin (2009) Oxidative stress enzymes in Ficus religiosa L.: Biochemical, histochemical and anatomical evidences. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology 95: 17–25.]
12. Reeja Rajab, C Mohankumar, K Murugan, M Harish, PV Mohanan (2009) Purification and toxicity studies of stevioside from Stevia rebaudianaBertoni. ToxicolInt 16 (1): 49-54.
13. Joseph AY, Babu VS, Dev SS, Gopalakrishnapai J, Harish M, Rajesh MD, Anisha S and Mohankumar C. (2008). Rapid detection and characterization of Chikungunya virus in febrile patients,from Kerala, India by RT-PCR. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 46: 573-578.
We have state of the art Molecular Biology Laboratories, Biochemistry Laboratory, Plant Tissue culture Laboratory, Animal Cell culture & tissue Engineering laboratory and Bioprocessing Laboratory. Our lab is equipped with latest research equipments like Real time PCR, PCR (Gradient), Mastercycler Personal, CO2 Incubator, Electroporator, ELISA Reader etc to name a few.
1 . Dr.Anisha.S - Thesis title: Molecular characterization of Lactioferrin gene of vechur cow, the critical breed of Bos indicus
2 . Dr.Harish.M - Thesis title: Functional characterization of the marker enzyme (UGT) in the synthesis of diterpene glycosides in Stevia rebaudiana Bertonii
3 . Dr.Rajesh M.D - Thesis title: Molecular Charcterization of the desaturase gene of FAD2 for the production of Polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) in peanut.
4 . Dr.Krishna K. Yathi - Theis title: Molecular and immunological characterization of E1 coat protein gene of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV)
1. Dr.C.Mohankumar – Director
2. Dr. Salini Bhasker – Senior Scientist
3. Dr. Jithesh Narayanan – Senior Scientist
4. Dr. Sheeja K – Scientist
5. Dr . Harish.M – Scientific Assistant
6. Dr . Rajesh M.D – Scientific Assistant
7. Ms. Julia Mary Joseph – Scientific Assistant
8. Ms. Malavika B.H- Research Fellow
9 .Ms. Divyaa Sreekumar
10 .Mrs.Shiny Deepak