The biotechnology research institution, started in the year 2007, is a major initiative of SCMS Group in a frontier area of science. It has obtained several patents and published more than 20 research based articles in refereed journals of global reputation and acceptance. It has developed several new products including biofuel from coconut oil and diabetic tea from Stevia powder. It is recognised by the Science and Technology Department of the Govt. of India and approved by the Kerala University of Health & Allied Sciences. It also has affiliation of Mysore University. Several students pursue research for taking Doctorate in biotechnology area at this institute. The SCMS School of Technology & Management, our MBA institution is offering 4 M.Sc. programmes in frontier areas of Biotechnology in association with the Biotechnology Research Division of the Group. The M.Sc. programmes offered are in the areas of Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering, Genomics & Proteomics, Toxicology and Biomaterials & Tissue Engineering. SCMS is the only institution in India which offers these programmes and our students are in great demand in the biopharma industry and also in the medical science area as researchers and academics
II. Ongoing research Programmes:
External Funded Projects:
- Regulation of the expression of Insulin receptor (INSR) and glucose transporter (glut4) genes in response to stevioside as an antidiabetic agent in normal and insulin sensitive L6E9 myoblast and T3-L1 preadipocytes- Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India, 2011-2013.
- Development of Low Fat Nutritionally Rich Delicious Fresh Tender Coconut Cream – Technology Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India – 2012-2014
- Evaluation of Coconut Embryonic Tissue - Haustorium for the Production of Value Added Products with respect to its Nutritional, Therapeutic and other Biological Properties - Technology Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India – 2013-2015
- Designing a hygienic harvesting process and an appropriate processing technology for sustaining the quality of coconut neera as a nutritive drink. Technology Mission, Coconut Development Board, Govt. of India – 2013-2015
- Production of recombinant Human lactoferrin for exploiting its therapeutic benefits.
- Rapid Diagnosis of chikungunya virus and production of monoclonal antibodies against E1 Coat protein.
- Earlier Diagnosis of serotypes of dengue virus using recombinant NS1.
- Expression of Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 gene during wound healing in cell line wound models
- Nutritional evaluation of recombinant Bovine lactoferrin (BLf) protein as a health supplement.
- Functional expression of FAD2 (omega-6 fatty acid desaturase) gene of soyabean in peanut for improving the PUFA content
- Enrichment of Steviosides- the natural sweetener in Stevia rebaudiana by over expressing UGT gene.
III. Patents filed:
- Sequence, Transgenic Products and Process Thereof- Application No. 982/CHE/2011, dated March 29, 2011
- Nucleotide and Amino acid Sequence, Methods and Kit Thereof Application No. 980/CHE/2011, dated March 28, 2011
- A composition and a process thereof – Patent No. 2327/CHE/2007
- A composition for treating Kerala wilt disease in coconut palms –Application No. 1152/CHE/2004, dated 5-11-2004
International Patent (Australia):
- Sequence, Transgenic Products and Process Thereof- Application No. PCT/IB2012/051491, dated March 28th 2012
- Nucleotide and Amino acid Sequence, Methods and Kit Thereof – Application No. PCT/IB2012/051458, dated March 27th 2012.
- A Herbal composition comprising plant parts of Stevia sps and Coffee beans- Patent No. 246859 (Application No. 2310/CHE/2007 – Patent Granted
- A Process for the production of steviol from Stevia sps – Patent No. 245903 (Application No.1436/CHE/2007)- Patent Granted
IV. Gene Accession numbers in NCBI gene data bank:
JN038572, JN038570, JN183868, JN183867, JN183866, JN183865 JN183864 ,JN03857, HQ235029,HQ235028, HQ215949,HQ215948,HQ215947,HM063066,HM063065,HM462476,
EU678358,GU059864,GQ259127,EU908061, FJ973623, FJ589071, EU908063,EU908062,